Wednesday 16 December 2015

Blogmas 2015 - Day 16 - Christmas Facts!

Hello Everyone,

When I was looking for ideas for questions for the Christmas quiz I posted a few days ago I found a few interesting facts so today I thought that I would share some of them with you. I hope you find them interesting and maybe even learn something new.

1. The first printed reference to a Christmas tree was in 1531 in Germany

2. The amounts of money spent on unwanted gifts at Christmas amounts to £700 million

3. The tradition of putting tangerines in stockings comes from 12th-century French nuns who left socks full of fruit, nuts and tangerines at the houses of the poor.

4. Nearly 60 million Christmas trees are grown each year in Europe.

5. The world's tallest Xmas tree at 221ft high was erected in a Washington shopping mall in 1950.

6. The chances of a white Christmas are just 1 in 10 for England and Wales, and 1 in 6 for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

7. Before turkey, the traditional Christmas meal in England was a pig's head and mustard.

8. Boxing Day gets its name from all the money collected in church alms-boxes for the poor.

9. Gold-wrapped chocolate coins commemorate St Nicholas who gave bags of gold coins to the poor.

10. The first Christmas celebrated in Britain is thought to have been in York in 521AD.

 I hope you enjoyed these Christmas facts. I find them really interesting. Not long untill Chirstmas now.

9 Days Until Christmas 

Pretty Perfect x


No comments:

Post a Comment